Botanical Garden in Carmichael CA
The History of Charles C. Jensen
The 3 1/2 Acre garden was founded in 1958 by Charles C. Jensen. After his retirement as a produce buyer. Mr. and Mrs. Jensen moved from their home in Oakland to their new property in Carmichael. They made regular trips to Oakland to bring back truck loads of plants and trees. The property already had Oaks, Coastal Redwoods and blackberry brambles. He gradually cleared the land and began planting the many Magnolias, Azaleas, Dogwoods and Japanese Maples which were among the first plants brought from Oakland.
Hybridizing, grafting and acquiring new varieties of plants, he built a garden that caught the eye of many passersby. He especially enjoyed showing visitors around his garden and opened it to parties and weddings. After his death, a group of citizens formed the Charles C. Jensen Botanical Garden, Inc Committee to preserve the garden. Their fund-raising efforts were successful and the garden became the property of the Carmichael Recreation and Park District in 1976.
Today, the District continues to work the garden in cooperation with the endless talent of the Friends of Jensen Botanical Garden. Since 2004, this volunteer group has transformed the garden into the beautiful paradise that it is today. One of the jewels of Carmichael, it has many varieties of Magnolias and Dogwoods, Japanese Maples and thousands of Tulips. Springtime is amazing.
More than you expect
Sacramento4Kids is an online family resource guide for kids within the Greater Sacramento area. From Events, Arts & Music, Birthday Parties, Camps, Child Care, Classes, Deals, Discounts, Schools, Field Trips, Health Providers, Kids Eat Free venues, Places To Go, Sports, and for Special Needs children.
9245 Laguna Springs Dr.
Elk Grove CA 95758